
Scott and I welcomed Montgomery Frost Ferguson into the world on Tuesday, April 8th, 2008 at 7:31pm at Memorial Hermann hospital in Houston, TX. She weighed in at 7 pounds 7 ounces, 20.5 inches long.
Labor wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I chose to be induced so I could make sure that both my doctor and Scott would both be there for the birth. Montgomery was due on April 12th - in the middle of the NCHA SuperStakes - so Scott was able to come home for the night but had to go back to Fort Worth the next day. He had to be there until April 19th so I was a single parent for awhile!
I checked into the hospital at 7:15am and just over 12 hours later our baby girl arrived. The only issues I had were that when i requested my epidural the anesthesia team had to rush off to an emergency and didnt get to me for a full hour! By then, I was definitely feeling the contractions! OUCH!!! Also, I had a "wet tap", which is apparently when they accidently puncture my spinal column during the epidural, which causes spinal fluid to leak. They warned me that I might get spinal headaches so they gave me some medicine for that but said I might have to come back in for a "blood patch" if the meds didn't work.
Well, by Friday my head was pounding so hard and my neck was so stiff that I had to call my doc on Saturday and she sent me back to the hospital for the blood patch, which entails doing ANOTHER epidural, but this time they inject 20ccs of my own blood into my spinal cord to patch the hole they made. It wasn't fun but worth it - the pain was gone within an hour - although my back was really sore after that!
Labor wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I chose to be induced so I could make sure that both my doctor and Scott would both be there for the birth. Montgomery was due on April 12th - in the middle of the NCHA SuperStakes - so Scott was able to come home for the night but had to go back to Fort Worth the next day. He had to be there until April 19th so I was a single parent for awhile!
I checked into the hospital at 7:15am and just over 12 hours later our baby girl arrived. The only issues I had were that when i requested my epidural the anesthesia team had to rush off to an emergency and didnt get to me for a full hour! By then, I was definitely feeling the contractions! OUCH!!! Also, I had a "wet tap", which is apparently when they accidently puncture my spinal column during the epidural, which causes spinal fluid to leak. They warned me that I might get spinal headaches so they gave me some medicine for that but said I might have to come back in for a "blood patch" if the meds didn't work.
Well, by Friday my head was pounding so hard and my neck was so stiff that I had to call my doc on Saturday and she sent me back to the hospital for the blood patch, which entails doing ANOTHER epidural, but this time they inject 20ccs of my own blood into my spinal cord to patch the hole they made. It wasn't fun but worth it - the pain was gone within an hour - although my back was really sore after that!

No comments:
Post a Comment