So, what is your opinion on thumb sucking? Good? Bad? No big deal? Discourage it? I am asking because Birdie has been making some valiant efforts to get her thumb into her mouth to suck on it. Up until yesterday, she hadn’t been coordinated enough yet to accomplish the mission but it’s been very entertaining watching her try so hard! She’d get her hand pressed into her mouth but could never get the thumb in there.
Last night I watched her take both hands and finally use one hand to shove the other hand in her mouth (yes, her whole hand). From this process, she starts sucking like crazy and slowly pulls out her fingers so that only her thumb is remaining! She uses her unsucked hand to hold the other hand pressed up against her face. She sucks on the thumb like crazy for as long as she can – so far about a minute or so – before her hand flies out and she has to start the process over. It’s pretty darn funny to watch! I give her a definite A+ for effort. I will try to get it on video.
So, back to my thumb-sucking question. Is it bad? Is it any better or worse than a pacifier? She isn’t terribly keen on pacis, she’ll take one every once and awhile but she seems to prefer to suck on a burp cloth or a plush toy or her thumb. I can’t recall if I ever sucked my thumb. I hate to undo all her hard efforts of getting her thumb into her mouth. Should I be happy that she has found a way to soothe herself or will this lead to years of thumb-sucking and an inevitable trip to the orthodontist?
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment